C o l l e g e h i s t o r y
Coordonates are: longitude 24º58’17” E
latitude 45º50’32” N.
‘RADU NEGRU’ NATIONAL COLLEGE
AN ALMOST TWO-CENTURY HISTORY-143 YEARS OLD
‘Radu Negru’High School is the oldest secondary education institution in the Făgăraş Country.
The ‘Central School’, having Romanian as a teaching language, was founded on the 13th of September by courtesy of Transylvanian scholar Ion Codru Dragusanu.This orthodox superior school functioned under different names, but the most representative was the one given by the scholar. Dragusanu himself gave it the legendary name ‘Radu Negru’. The school had a confessional feature and functioned with 4 grades and 3 schoolmasters belonging to the orthodox church on the Greeks’ Street, street that nowadays has the name of the scholar. Later 2 gymnasial classes and a school for adults were added to it. Great Romanian culture personalities such as Ion Heliade Radulescu (the president of the Romanian Academy), Simion Barnutiu, George Baritiu, Timotei Cipariu, August Treboniu Laurian, Florian Aron, His Eminence Andrei Saguna, Vasile Alecsandri, V.A.Urechia, Titu Maiorescu, C.A.Rosetti, George Lahovari, Stefan Golescu, Ion Campineanu, Cezar Bolliac, Papiu Ilarian as well as peasants from the villages around Fagaras helped with large sums of money in order to establish this school. The Romanian Legislative Chamber, the town councils from Muscel, Arges , Prahova and Buzau also made their contributions.
‘RADU NEGRU’ Central School was dissolved in 1873 because of the scarcity of money but the Romanian learning seeds bore fruit in all the villages in the Fagaras country.
In the next 25 years, after the setting up (1873-1898), a Romanian Oriental-Greek Denominational School continues to function within the school building, but with only one schoolmaster.
Between 1877-1898, on Beclean Street (nowdays Doamna Stanca Street ) The Civilian School for Boys, with students from all strata of the population and ethnic groups also functioned. This school would become, in 1898, the residence of ‘Radu Negru’ High School for boys.
After the authorities had approved of the setting up of a high school of boys in Fagaras, called “Radu Negru’, this high school functioned
in the building of The Civilian School for Boys between 1989-1909.
The high school started its activity in 1898, at the same time with the establishment of the first grade, lower classes. In the autumn of 1902 the 5th grade was set up.
The building of a new school for the pupils in Fagaras is approved. The building was carried out between 1907-1909, in baroque style.
From 1909, the classes of the high school have been carried on in the new large building, but the name of the school was changed into“The Royal High School for boys’,having classes taught in Hungarian.
The 1909 large building is the present-day residence of “Radu Negru”National College.
After the 1st of December,the high school was completely transformed and it was subordinated to the Romanian authorities. Thus, on the 2nd of February the National Romanian Council in Fagaras receives the building under its administration under the leadership of the Council of Sibiu.
On this occasion, the school resumed its name – ‘Radu Negru’ High School” according to the decision of the Minister of Culture and Public Education.It was then that the Romanian Department was set up , so the students weren’t bound to study in Hungarian any longer. Starting with 1919-1920 school year, the classes were carried on in Romanian, functioning with the 1-8 high school grades (the equivalent of today 5-12 grades).
The main purpose of this higher school, created in 1869, was successfully accomplished by the “Radu Negru” High School, which started its courses on 6th October 1919,having the mission to fulfil the wishes and sacred ideals of forerunners in 1869 and of those who had accomplished the Great Unification. Along the years the school has kept its good reputation inspired since its foundation by the scholar Ion Codru Draguseanu.
Between 1919-1940, this school was considered to be the best high school. There were only 25 high schools like this in the country. The selection for students’ admission in the high school or even during the school years was terribly strict. For example, in 1920-1921school year, in the first grade 175 pupils entered their names on the register of students, and after 7 years of studying, there were only 27 left in the 7th grade.To evaluate the activity of the teachers, the ministry would send great personalities of the Romanian culture in the top schools. Thus “Radu Negru” High School was visited and evaluated by famous university professors such as Nicolae Iorga, Ovid Densusianu, Mihail Dragomirescu. The school baccalaureate examinations were held under the presidency of well-known professors and great cultural, literature and education personalities . The majority of the students which had taken the high school’s classes in 1919-1948 were peasants’children, but for them the main moral values were work, humanity and honesty.
Along the decades, “Radu Negru” High School has become an important cultural factor, the centre of spiritual life in the Fagaras Country.
The high school has kept the spiritual Romanian feeling, perpetuating it to the future. The large number of graduates, among which great personalities of the social, cultural, political life, is the supreme argument for the incontestable prestige of this school,not only in the country but also beyond its borders.
The teachers and the graduates stood treat to this school. Highly cultivated men have stood this school,of which Nicolae Iorga had kind words to say. Then, as well as nowadays ‘Radu Negru’NATIONAL COLLEGE ’’ has been well spoken of. An imposing building, with a solemn entrance, monumental stairs, spacious classrooms, rooms specialized for experimental activities, elegant furniture, huge library, eminent teachers, this is the present day college.
From the school honour book
The following personalities were students of “Radu Negru” High School:
Ph.Vasile Suciu, ex Alba Iulia and Fagaras Eminence
Ph.Augustin Bunea, historian;
univ. prof. Ph. Remus Radulet; Laurentiu Streza archbishop of Caransebes (1996-2005) and Ardeal Eminence since November 2005;
-highly cultivated men: Octavian Paler, Mihai Sin, Mihai Coman, Paul Goma,Cornel Teulea and many others.
-the controversial Horia Sima;
-more than 300 personalities of social, scientific, cultural and sports life;
-over 5000 university graduates
-Stelian brothers and Gheorghe Mociornita, ex students of the high school between 1932-1938 who died doing their army service on the battlefield during the war.
The reformation changes again the name of the high school.
According to the 3rd August 1948 Reform “Radu Negru” high school changes its name again becoming Secondary School No.1
Other changes appeared:
-elementary school included 1st-4th grades;
-secondary school included 5th-7th grades;
-high school included 8th-11th grades ;
- the elementary grades (3rd and 4th grades in 1948) and secondary school(5-7th grades in 1948)were also introduced
-evening classes (1954-1993);
- mixed classes appear in the high school (since 1956, the 8th grade);
-a permanent change of the high school structure with 10th grades, 11th grades, 12th grades;
-in 1948, the first high school grade was the 8th grade;
-in 1954, the first entrance examination in the 8th grade -evening classes;
-in 1954, the last graduates with 11th grades and the first with 10th grades;
-in 1957, the last graduates with 10th grades;
-in 1959, the last graduates of high school (the 11th grade) only of boys;
-in 1961, the last graduates of secondary school with 7th grades;
-in 1967, the last graduates of high school with 11th grades- day school
-in 1967, the last graduates of high school with 11th grades - evening classes;
-the change of the assessment method and the marking system (marks from 1 to 5 in 1952-1957, then marks from 1 to 10 beginning with 1957-1958 school year).
The reform had its good parts such as free handbooks, scholarships, disappearance of corporal punishments, permanent support of the big companies (the Chemical Works, UPRUC), the diversity of extra curriculum activities.Tuition fees stopped existing and the number of classes increased. The teachers have always put on foreground the lesson in the classrooms, in this way preserving the high status of the school.
Among the great teachers we have:
We can remember Dumitru Viziru ( principal and Biology teacher), Remus Popovici(principal and Latin teacher),Eugen Dumitrescu( principal and Philosophy and Psychology teacher),Nicolae Damian.(assistant manager and History teacher),Serban Cornila, (principal and Romanian teacher), George Hanes,( assistant manager and Romanian teacher), Dionisie Sabadus,(Mathematics teacher),Filip Pop,(chemistry teacher),Alexander Galea,(Physics teacher),John Ciungu,(Geography teacher),Peter Marcu,(Mathematics teacher),John Receanu,(French teacher),Nicholas Comaniciu,(History teacher),Michael Aprozeanu,(Geography teacher),Vasile Sica ,(assistant manager and Sports teacher),Stefan Nica(Sports teacher ),Lucille Negrea(French teacher) ,Octavian Simen(Music teacher),John Dascalu (Mathematics teacher),Sylvia Barcutean(Romanian teacher),Sylvia Lungu )Chemistry teacher) ,Nicholas Racheru(assistant manager and Mathematics teacher),Didina Dolejan(Psychology teacher),Doina Nicula(Mathematics teacher),Raisa Dumitrescu(Romanian teacher),Tania Constantinescu(Rusian teacher),Nicholas Socol(Biology teacher), Mary Galcenco(Biology teacher),Valentine Radoi (Mathematics teacher).
The highschool maintained its fame not only by the teachers’ professional level, but also by the students’achievements.The graduates from the interval1948-1965 ensured the management and organization of the whole, economic,medical administrative and teaching activity of Fagaras in the period 1948-1990.
After 1965 the highschool regained its name of “Radu Negru”.
Until 1990 it had severalcharacters: theoretical,Mathematics-Physics, industrial.In this period in Fagaras there was also Highschool Number Two.The two highschools compete.When the principals of Highschool Number Two were Alexander Galea and Viorel Comsa-very good graduates of “Radu Negru”Highschool some of the best teachers of the latter were attracted by Highschool Number Two,such as Sylvia Lungu,Ion Funariu,etc.So Highschool Number Two,called now “Doamna Stanca”became as good a school as “Radu Negru”.
The competitor school was annulled in 1978.
In the autumn of the year1977 a radical change takes place.”Doamna Stanca” Highschool becomes secondary school. The primary and secondary classes from “Radu Negru” go to “Doamna Stanca” and the highschool classes of “Doamna Stanca”go to”Radu Negru”.So a part of the teachers of “Doamna Stanca “ go to “Radu Negru” too.We can mention:John Funariu(Romanian teacher),Pantelimon Cornea(French teacher),George Lazea(Mathematics teacher),Sylvia Lungu(Chemistry teacher), Adriana Fagarasanu(Physics teacher).Since then the achievements of “Radu Negru Highschool have been increasing.Best results at the Olympics at all subjects were obtained. We can also mention good results at the scientific and artistic republican and world competitions.
GOOD RESULTS AT THE OLYMPICS
The students of the highschool got important prizes, special prizes and first prizes at the national competitions at Romanian literature, Chemistry,Physics Biology, Foreign languages and technical subjects.
The best result was that of Dan Nicusor who in 1987 got the first prize at the International Olympics in Mathematics in Havana (Cuba)and the first prize at the Mathematics Competition in Balkans in Athens (Greece).In 1988 he got the first prize at the International Olympics in Mathematics in Sydney (Australia).
Most of the graduates of this highschool became students. In1982 the highschool was renovated.New laboratories came into being, such as:the Romanian literature cabinet arranged by professor John Funariu, the Mathematics cabinet arranged by professor Horatiu Judele,the Chemistry laboratory arranged by professor Doina Drajneanu,the Foreign language cabinet arranged by professor Tatiana Constantinescu and professor Pantelimon Cornea, the Festival Hall arranged by professor John Funariu.All these were achieved under the leadership of Horatiu Judele, the principal of the school and of John Funariu, assistant manager.
In 1990 nineteen new teachers came to this school from the other schools in the town.Most of them had their First Degree as teachers.
In1996 as a recognition of the high quality of the teaching process in this school the highschool got the title of “National Highschool Radu Negru” ,with scientific and philology sections.
Today, in 2011-2012, in this highschool are working famous teachers well known for their exigence and high teaching level.
So, of the forty-one full professors of this school one of them is a Doctor in Philology (professor Gabriel Angelescu author of textbooks).Twenty-nine teachers have got their First Degree in teaching(among which professor Cornel Teulea,a playwright,a member of the Union of the Romanian Writers).
Eight professors have their Second Degree in teaching, three are professors in ordinary.
Written by professor Florian Barsan
THE HISTORY OF A NAME:RADU NEGRU
In1215 NEGRU Voda’s name was mentioned for the first time in history. In the folk legends NEGRU Voda, the Black Lord is responsible for the foundation of Wallachia. His idea of union animated all the population living north of the Danube and the resemblance of his intentions with those of Tudor Vladimirescu makes us believe that RADU NEGRU rebelled too against the “dragons” who had invaded his country.He derives his name from the black eagle who kills the dragon,the eagle who eat snakes.
The theme of the eagle is a very well known theme , a very strong argument of associating the Bassarabs living in this region, with the eagles.The tamed eagles and hawks were used in old times to hunt “all kind of snakes”.
NEGRU Voda had a church built in Tismana Valley but he gave it up because of the Hungarian kings, of the Tartars and because of the troubles caused by the missionaries of the western religious currents.
The history of Wallachia associates NEGRU Voda to the annulment of the Fagaras county in 1291 where from he moved his court climbing down the mountains with his suite and establishing his first residence at Campulung, a town already founded by Saxons.It could be a story made up by the historians in the 16-th and 17-th centuries influenced by the foundation of Moldavia by Dragos. Basarab’s kin is connected to our ancient and mediaeval history. The Basarabs often appear in history under several names and then they disappear again.
They were the leaders coming from Dacian noblemen wearing thin trousers not rough ones like the peasants. For common people they were “ba-sarab” meaning “without trousers”,namely superior to the shepherds.
Prince of Wallachia (1377-1385), RADU I Basarab was the third ruler after Basarab I. Nicolae Alexandru’s son (ruling between1352-1364) was the founder of great monasteries and of the Princely Church in Curtea de Argeş. Throughout the years, the memory of his predecessors being lost, the monks believed that the person whose name was first mentioned in the diptych must have been the first voivode of the country, that is its founder. As NEGRU Vodă had been known as its founder according to the tradition, the fusion of these names came naturally and the hybrid name of the voivode RADU - NEGRU was thus created. Therefore, it seems that a ruler named RADU I Basarab or one with the name of NEGRU Vodă really existed, but a voivode named RADU NEGRU has never been heard of.
In conclusion we can say that the name "RADU NEGRU" includes in it the names of two princes.